Wednesday, April 3, 2019

But you're great with people

Here's the thing, I feel frustrated. SO frustrated. I have spent most of my adult life searching for the next best job opportunity. After working several years as a teacher's assistant and knowing there was nowhere to go from there, I decided to go to school. I went to Penn State University for my associates degree. Looking back that was dumb, really dumb. It was expensive and I came out on the other end with a generic degree. No specialization or trade to move into. 6 months after graduating those annoying school loans started knocking at my door. So I had to find a job to start paying back those loans.
So remember I don't have a specialized degree, I've only worked as a teacher's assistant and then a part time Director of Youth Ministry. I start applying to jobs and getting rejection letter after rejection letter. I started to realize I wasn't even getting my resume looked at because they have computer systems that weed out the unqualified applicants immediately. Wanting to work in the non-profit sector ironically is hard to get into with out a MASTERS Degree.
So I decided I'm going to go back to school. I was working, being a mother and pursing an adoption while attempting to fit in school work. Every waking moment I was squeezing in school and I was miserable. I decided it wasn't worth it and that I would have to work EXTRA hard to get myself out there and get my foot in the door somewhere. Well I've started to do that and guess what I'm still unqualified, student loans hanging over my head and no where to go.
When I ask people what I'm good at people always comment, you're great with people. You light up a room and make others feel welcomed. You're compassionate, kind and caring. Well apparently that's not coming through on the one sheet of paper that is getting thrown in the trash almost immediately. I'm not getting the chance to show people who I really am because of a degree.
I feel the system is broken when a computer can select an applicant based on algorithms.
If any hiring manager is reading this I hope they know excellent employees can come with out degrees. Take a chance on them.
I want to make a difference in my community by working for a local non-profit. I care deeply about others and being an advocate for those who can't advocate for themselves. This isn't something you can learn in school. It's apart of who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment