Monday, September 26, 2016

Come and sit at the table

Yesterday during church I was reminded of a child hood memory that made me chuckle. Our pastor was reminiscing over having to sit at the kids table at holiday gatherings. I could relate. Having a large extended family, many times there were several "kids" tables set up. Most times it was a flimsy card table that wobbled when you moved. I'm sure my cousins Emily, Kayla and Rebecca can remember the many meals we shared at the "kids" table. I was always so offended that I had to sit at the little table in the other room far away from the older kids and parents. But the funny part is we now make Cali and her cousins and friends sit at the kids table. It's a right of passage when you think about it. Everyone has to take a turn. But oddly enough looking back, I'm grateful I had those experiences. I had the opportunity to sit with my cousins, share a meal and enjoy each others company...unattended :) I don't get to see them much anymore but I can look back over those fond memories and smile.

If you ask my parents, since I was a little girl, I always found it important to sit down as a family and eat. It was a special time for me. Sometimes my mom would like to watch TV when she ate dinner and I would adamantly state, everyone must come to the table and eat with me. I was the designated prayer too. I enjoyed the quality family time we had around the dinner table. As we got older, sometimes it involved inappropriate conversations that would make mom mad and dad chuckle. When I would go to friends houses I would see sitting around a table for dinner was not the norm, which made me sad. In high school I really enjoyed cooking and even attend school for culinary arts. Look back, I think it had to do with my desire to provide people with a delicious meal to sit down and enjoy TOGETHER. Together being the key word.

Eating is as old as dirt. Man kind has been doing it since God created Adam and Eve. It's a necessity to live. But equally as important is companionship. I feel like our society has forgotten how vitally important relationships are not only for our health but our survival. Studies show, when faced with major illnesses, those individuals with a great social network are at a better position to survive. The loving support of friends helps them through the healing process. Interestingly enough, a 2004 study published by the American Sociological Review revealed that the average number of trusted friends fell by a third in the past 20 years and the proportion of people with no confidants has doubled.

This is alarming to me. I can say with confidence, Chad and I survived Camden's death because of the support system God placed before us. There was no greater thing that held us together. I don't want family and friends to stop eating at the table together. These moments are so important and will be remembered, I promise! For all the reasons you might say no to a fellowship meal or sitting at the dinner table with your family, I strongly ask you to reconsider. You may feel you don't physically need to eat but do you emotionally need to be at the table? Those people around that table could save your life when you need it most. It sounds extreme but don't take it lightly. We need each other and the best place to meet is around a table. Not in front of the TV, not in the car on the way to practice, not squeezed in between activities but sitting down and eating a meal TOGETHER.



No comments:

Post a Comment