Monday, April 28, 2014

Love is War

So while driving to West Virginia last weekend I heard a song by Hillsong United called "Love is War." The title of the song sounded awfully contradictory to me. After reading through the lyrics I had a better understanding of the statement "Love is War." And I would totally agree. Sometimes loving can be a war. Sometimes it takes everything in me to love someone who had done me wrong. Sometimes I find it hard to love God and to love others in this broken world. Loving is a constant battle as a Christ follower of Jesus, but we're called to love, in fact we're told loving is THE most important part of our life.

Love can look differently to many of us. For myself, I show love by spending time with people or helping them with things they cannot do alone. I like to give gifts and I like to make people laugh. I feel these are practical ways I can spread God's love through the world. But what happens when you're called to love someone who makes you mad? OR someone that seems less then loving towards you? That is when loving becomes a war. When do we throw up our white flag and surrender ourselves to God and love regardless of the past? And how do we set aside our hurt, and love again when the person you're angry with is the person you also need to look to for strength?

These are questions that constantly run through my mind right now. Before Camden passed, I loved to pray. It was easy and natural for me. But as of late, I find it hard to know what to say to God so I have to trust that he knows what I want to say. Right now I feel like I'm in a constant battle with God.

"I love you, but I'm so hurt and confused."
"You're my life, but I can't see what your plan is FOR my life."
"I love you, Do you love me?"

So I had to start looking for answers for all these questions and thoughts. Then I read these lyric from the song "Love is War."

"And I know Your love has won it all
You took the fall
To embrace my sorrows
I know You took the fight
You came and died but the grave was borrowed
I know You stood again
So I can stand with a life to follow
In the light of Your name."

I know God's love conquers all. No matter how bad the world is or will become. God's love is on the other side. Jesus dying on the cross for us was the ultimate gift of Love. And he did it so we could live a life full of love in a very dark world. Yes Camden is gone and he will never be with us here on earth again. This is the very sad and honest truth BUT Chad and I still have a life to live. We still have love to share. We both agree, why waste a life God gave us on bitterness and anger when we can in turn spend a life of love and selflessness, just like Jesus did.

Anger will not bring Camden back. But love might offer others a new life. What's sweeter than that?

Love. Simply Love. Love those who think differently then you. Love those who do bad things to you. Love those who don't know what love is. Love not because the bible tells you to, love because loving others has the potential to save someone's life.




We love you Camden.

No comments:

Post a Comment